Sunday, October 27, 2013

Captain Philips (2013)

Tom Hanks is a great actor , I mean you have to be if you won two Academy Awards for best actor back to back. Not to say that all his roles after those subsequent wins were amazing, because really everybody has their off-days even if they are Two time Academy award winners. So is Captain Philips a dud or not?

Captain Philips is based on the true story of a container ship being hi-jacked by pirates from Somalia. Tom Hanks portray the commander of the ship Captain Philips , and the movie follows in the rescue attempt by the US Navy to save him. This movie kind of struck me , because my Uncle used to be a captain of one of those vessels , and I also have several cousins who work at various capacities on those kind of ships .I'm aware that of the level of piracy that occurs from Somalia , after all I'm a news junkie . And I've heard of this news before . Yes, the film does a good job in conveying the danger and the intensity of the situation. You could even say that this could be a good action film. What with all the gun-toting and military maneuvers going on. Is Tom Hanks good in this, well yeah but I have seen him do better. This is an average performance for him, I wasn't really wowed by it , or maybe it just the shadow of his former brilliant performances that causes me to set a too high expectation? I don't know , but this I can say , just don't expect a too brilliant movie. Just sit back and relax , the movie is very enjoyable , it is fun to watch . And it is worth the ticket you pay for it.

Watch Trailer Here

Directed by Paul Greengrass

Cast
Tom Hanks as Richard Phillips, Captain of the MV Maersk Alabama
Catherine Keener as Andrea Phillips
Barkhad Abdi as Abduwali Muse, pirate leader
Barkhad Abdirahman as Bilal
Faysal Ahmed as Najee
Mahat M. Ali as Elmi
Michael Chernus as Shane Murphy, First Officer of MV Maersk Alabama
David Warshofsky as Mike Perry, Chief Engineer, MV Maersk Alabama
Corey Johnson as Ken Quinn, helmsman, MV Maersk Alabama
Chris Mulkey as John Cronan, senior crew member, MV Maersk Alabama
Yul Vazquez as Commander Frank Castellano, Commanding Officer, USS Bainbridge
Max Martini as U.S. Navy SEAL Commander

No comments:

Post a Comment